A Universe of Stories! 2019
Summer Reading Challenge
General Summer Reading Challenge Rules
The theme this summer is “A Universe of Stories!”.
● Our program will officially begin on Wednesday, June 19, 2019 with a Summer Reading Kickoff Party with a presentation by Mad Science: “Up, Up, and Away Into Space”, at 5:30 pm in the Children’s Room.
● The Summer Reading Program is for children and teens from infant to 17 years of age.
● Beginning June 19th each participant may sign up for Summer Reading in the Children’s Room where they will be given a Summer Reading packet that includes a booklet to track progress, Summer Reading rules, prize list, and a bookmark
● There will be three groups for Summer Reading based on age: Early Literacy (birth to age 5), Children (5-12 years of age), and Teens (13-17 years of age).
● Each group will have an age appropriate Summer Reading booklet to track their progress, separate guidelines, and prizes. *Please refer to the appropriate group for your child based on their age.
● All children signed up for Summer Reading will be eligible for weekly prizes as they progress with their Summer Reading record.
● There will be an End of Summer Reading Celebration Saturday, August 24,2019 from 1-3 pm with a presentation by Eyes of the Wild: “Animals Are Out of this World!”.
● All children and teens from birth to 17 years may attend the End of Summer Reading Party, although only registered participants will be eligible for prizes based on the guidelines for their age group, as stated on Summer Reading Page under: Early Literacy (birth to age 5), Children (5-12 years of age), and Teens (13-17 years of age).
● Please see our attached calendars for upcoming Summer Reading activities that are free to child and teen patrons with all materials provided.
● We greatly encourage children, teens, families, and caregivers to visit the library regularly.
● Although it is not required to have a library card to participate in library programs and activities we greatly encourage those without a library card to sign up! Library card sign up is free to those that live or work in Trenton, seniors, or are a veteran.
● In addition to free activities, you may also check out books, CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, or access Ebooks with your library card.
● Summer Reading sign up will begin June 19, 2019 and end July 31, 2019. As of August 1, 2019 there will be no more participants accepted into the Summer Reading program.
● Each day throughout Summer Reading, June 20, 2019 - August 23, 2019, there will be D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything and Read) time in the Children’s Room from 10-10:30 am, 2-2:30 pm, and 6:30-7 pm. This reading time counts toward reading progress and for participants who read all 30 minutes they will receive an additional 10 minutes of reading credit to be approved by the librarian.
● Children and teens who attend any scheduled activity at the library for the full scheduled hour will receive 20 minutes of reading credit to be approved by the librarian.
Please contact Youth Services Librarian, Rebecca FrancoMartin, with any questions or concerning regarding the upcoming Summer Reading Program Challenge by phone or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 392-7188 - ext. 32
*Please note the Summer Reading Challenge is open to all free of charge. This is not a summer day camp program. Children 7 and under must be supervised be accompanied by an adult or child of 12 years of age or older as stated in our “Unattended Children Policy”.
Refer to the slide show below for Ages and Age specific rules