Assessment and User Experience (Librarian 1)
About the Trenton Free Public Library:
The City of Trenton is located in Mercer County, across the Delaware River from Pennsylvania. The historic State Capital of New Jersey - which was the site of General George Washington’s first military victory in December 1776 and the national capital of the United States in November and December 1784 - is centrally located between Philadelphia and New York City. The City of Trenton has a richly diverse population of 85,000 people.
The Trenton Free Public Library is the oldest library in the state of New Jersey and the second oldest Free Public Library in the United States (behind the Free Library of Philadelphia). The Library is home to the Trentoniana Collection, an enormous genealogy and local history collection. The library provides programming for children, teenagers and adults at least five days a week, including pre-school storytimes, adult book clubs, a knitting club, crafts for children, STEM workshops for children, senior citizen computer classes and many more. The mission of the library is that “The Trenton Free Public Library is a bridge that connects the community to literacy, guides learning and inspires curiosity.”
The Trenton Free Public Library is seeking a creative and passionate librarian to join our organization. The successful candidate will work in all areas of the library to improve users’ experience of library services and spaces, both physical and virtual. This person will have regularly scheduled shifts at the reference desk and collection development duties.
The Librarian must have strong leadership skills, passion, and a clear vision and ability to implement 21st Century Librarianship and Library Services in all aspects of the Library. In addition, a thorough knowledge of:
- the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation
- current trends in the delivery of library services
- library and social media technology
- website maintenance and development
- grant application
- integration of technological solutions for everyday challenges
- reference and research techniques
- customer service skills and techniques
- to work with a diverse population and staff
- to maintain accurate records and statistics and complete reports
- exercise initiative and independent judgment
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with patrons and all library staff
- communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing
- to work both independently and as part of a team
- to prioritize work tasks
Required Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program
- Ability to acquire NJ Professional Library Certificate
- 0-1 Years of Library Experience - Recent graduates encouraged to apply
- Salary: $51,783 per year - $28.45/hr
- 20 Vacation Days per year
- 15 Sick Days per year
- 5 Personal Days per year
- 14 Statutory Holidays
- The Trenton Free Public Library participates in the NJ Public Employees Retirement System and State Health Benefits Plan
- 35 hours per week
- one evening per week
- one Saturday per month
Applicant reviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To apply please email a cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to email@example.com
The Trenton Free Public Library is looking for dedicated, motivated, detail-oriented individuals with solid computer skills to provide EXCELLENT customer service to our Library Patrons.
This is a part time, 19 hours or less per week position, that may include evenings and weekend hours. This position is temporary and will last no more than 6 months.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating Library Cards
- Checking material out to Patrons
- Reviewing a Patron's status to use the Library Services
- Working with the Circulation Team to provide service that is based 100% on Policy
- Assisting Patrons in finding material or using library services.
- Sorting and shelving material
- Checking-in material from the book drop
- Processing the Hold Lists and searching the Missing Items list
- Keeping the shelves and library tidy (shelf reading; straightening; clearing loose books)
- Checking books which may need mending
- Performing other tasks as specified by the supervisor.
The salary is $8.80/hr and is part-time and therefore unbenefitted with a 90-day working test period.