About the Trenton Free Public Library:
The City of Trenton is located in Mercer County, across the Delaware River from Pennsylvania. The historic State Capital of New Jersey - which was the site of General George Washington’s first military victory in December 1776 and the national capital of the United States in November and December 1784 - is centrally located between Philadelphia and New York City. The City of Trenton has a richly diverse population of 85,000 people.
The Trenton Free Public Library was the first library in New Jersey and is one of the oldest in the United States. The Library is home to the Trentoniana Collection, an enormous genealogy and local history collection. The library provides programming for children, teenagers and adults at least five days a week, including pre-school storytimes, adult book clubs, a knitting club, crafts for children, STEM workshops for children, senior citizen computer classes and many more. The mission of the library is that “The Trenton Free Public Library is a bridge that connects the community to literacy, guides learning and inspires curiosity.”
The Trenton Free Public Library is looking for dedicated, motivated, detail-oriented individuals with solid computer skills to provide EXCELLENT customer service to our Library Patrons.
This is a part time, 19 hours or less per week position, that may include evenings and weekend hours. This position is temporary and will last no more than 6 months.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating Library Cards
- Checking material out to Patrons
- Reviewing a Patron's status to use the Library Services
- Working with the Circulation Team to provide service that is based 100% on Policy
- Assisting Patrons in finding material or using library services.
- Sorting and shelving material
- Checking-in material from the book drop
- Processing the Hold Lists and searching the Missing Items list
- Keeping the shelves and library tidy (shelf reading; straightening; clearing loose books)
- Checking books which may need mending
- Performing other tasks as specified by the supervisor.
The salary is $8.80/hr and is part-time and therefore unbenefitted with a 90-day working test period.