About the Trenton Free Public Library:
The City of Trenton is located in Mercer County, across the Delaware River from Pennsylvania. The historic State Capital of New Jersey - which was the site of General George Washington’s first military victory in December 1776 and the national capital of the United States in November and December 1784 - is centrally located between Philadelphia and New York City. The City of Trenton has a richly diverse population of 85,000 people.
The Trenton Free Public Library was the first library in New Jersey and is one of the oldest in the United States. The Library is home to the Trentoniana Collection, an enormous genealogy and local history collection. The library provides programming for children, teenagers and adults at least five days a week, including pre-school storytimes, adult book clubs, a knitting club, crafts for children, STEM workshops for children, senior citizen computer classes and many more. The mission of the library is that “The Trenton Free Public Library is a bridge that connects the community to literacy, guides learning and inspires curiosity.”
Youth Services (Librarian 1)
The Trenton Free Public Library is looking for a dynamic and energetic Youth Services Librarian who is a techno-literate, savvy professional who will work under, but with little supervision, of the direction of the Library Director. This individual will work primarily with young people from birth through high school. This position requires working one evening shift and one Saturday shift a month.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Developing Youth Service programs
- Story Hour, Arts and Crafts, Summer Reading Program, and more.
- Selecting and maintaining materials for the Childrens and YA collection, inventory and weeding of children’s collection
- Insuring the policy and procedures of the Library
- Training Library Support Staff
- Creating and Maintaining displays
- Works with other community organizations to create joint projects that share resources
- Maintains various Library social media including Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Acts as the representative at children related meetings and conferences and events
- Compiles statistics on attendance of all children’s programs for monthly and annual reports
Works at the Circulation and Reference Desks as needed.
- Checks library material in and out
- Shelves library material, assists Patrons with minor computer needs
Performs related duties as required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skill
- Set priorities and meet assigned deadlines
Various other library related related duties
A Master's degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association.
Appointees may be required to possess a valid license as a Professional Librarian issued by Thomas Edison State College.
Appointee may be required to possess a valid driver’s license
Salary $51,779, per year, ($28.45 per hour)
Vacation 20 days per year, earning 1.666 days a month
Sick Days 15 days per year, earning 8.25 hours a month
Personal Days 5 days per year, earning 1.25 hours a month
Paid Holidays 14 per calendar year as per the union contract
Medical Coverage Several Plans from which to choose with a payroll
Eye Care Reimbursement @ $100 for single vision and bifocals
Prescription Co-Pay 1$, $5 or $10 depending on prescription
Dental Plan Small monthly fee for coverage depending on your selection of carrier
Work Week 35 hours flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
Residency New Jersey Resident within one year
Please forward a cover letter, resume and references to: email@example.com with the subject line Youth Services Librarian.
The Trenton Free Public Library is looking for dedicated, motivated, detail-oriented individuals with solid computer skills to provide EXCELLENT customer service to our Library Patrons.
This is a part time, 19 hours or less per week position, that may include evenings and weekend hours. This position is temporary and will last no more than 6 months.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating Library Cards
- Checking material out to Patrons
- Reviewing a Patron's status to use the Library Services
- Working with the Circulation Team to provide service that is based 100% on Policy
- Assisting Patrons in finding material or using library services.
- Sorting and shelving material
- Checking-in material from the book drop
- Processing the Hold Lists and searching the Missing Items list
- Keeping the shelves and library tidy (shelf reading; straightening; clearing loose books)
- Checking books which may need mending
- Performing other tasks as specified by the supervisor.
The salary is $8.80/hr and is part-time and therefore unbenefitted with a 90-day working test period.